Sunday, September 25, 2011

Righteous/Lucious

My awesome hubby made today so much better than the last.

After the standard morning kid routine, he took over most of the potty training and played with the kids while I rested.  Then later he gave me a back rub.  

Ahhh, much better. 

Today had a couple great family moments that also made the day brighter: 

1.  Taylor asked Andrew if he could watch "The Righteous Brothers" this morning.  Andrew had no idea what he was talking about.  Taylor clarified, "You remember Dad, the one about the airplanes?" Oh yeah--The Wright Brothers.

2.  We FaceTimed my Dad and 17 year-old brother Devin tonight.  Devin has been dating a cute gal who has the kind of name that just itches for sibling pestilence: Lisa Amor.  I usually can't resist dropping some goofy comment his way when I ask him about how she's doing, and tonight he responded hillariously to my attempt to get his goat:  "So how's Miss La-la-L'Amour?" I say.  Devin smiled with an immediate response: "La-la-lucious!"  
Ha ha!  Too perfect.  Devin's a crack up.  

As I prepare to put on the armor of a potty trainer again tomorrow, I have a question to put out there:  

Pull Ups at night...yes or no?  I can't figure that one out.

7 comments:

Carrie & the Boys said...

I still do diapers at night because Pull-ups are more expensive. It has been fine for us but every child is different. Considering Eric still sometimes wake up wet, I"m not ready to do underwear until he is consistently dry and I am better at getting him to potty first thing. Keep going, Tiff. YOu are one awesome woman!

The Olligschlager Family said...

I use pull ups at night with my second but didn't with Owen (1st). I used a cloth diaper. They both worked well. I just was over laundry so that is why I didn't do cloth with my second. Hope that helps:) I love reading your blog! You are an amazing woman!

Michelle Pingel said...

We never did pull-ups or diapers at night. Once we started in underwear, there was no going back. Some kids use diapers/pull-ups as a crutch and just won't try to hold it at night. When we started training Rachel, she had been waking up dry quite often so we thought she could handle it and she did. With Brandon, even though he was still waking up quite wet before we started training, he honestly only wet the bed the first two nights and then he was done. Kids don't like to be wet, so if they have to swim in their own pee, they get over it faster in my opinion.

Michael said...

Tiffany: you know my answer on this. NO ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!! when we chatted on FB we talked about this. :)

Maria Grover said...

Like I mentioned before, we used pull-ups just during "practice time" while I conveyed the basic idea behind using a toilet and lowering/raising underwear. Once I dived into the actual potty training with panties, we didn't use pull-ups at night because, as mentioned by others, kids use them as a crutch and don't try to hold it. Instead, I invested in a pack of overnight WATERPROOF training panties. Katelyn needed them much more than Claire (who only wet at night once, yay!), but basically, you put them on at night (or naps), and the kid will still feel exceptionally wet and uncomfortable, but the bed stays nice and dry. Lovely invention IMO. (The pull-up over underwear idea might work the same.)

Mindi said...

I used pull-ups for sleeping because we went with the idea that diapers were for babies (and pull-ups aren't diapers of course)! For the first few months we worked on staying dry during the nap, so we are in panties for naps now. I am going to start working with her on staying dry at night and hopefully be in panties for the night sometime soon. I really think it takes a while for kids to understand their body. I rather her practice in pull-ups than change sheets everyday.

Kimra Bham said...

Keep it up, Tiffany! I am convinced that potty training is the worst part of parenting :) Sounds like you're doing great, and at least things are moving in the forward (ish :) direction!
That being said, I thought I would throw my two cents in about pull ups. I think every child is completely different. With our first, we just used diapers at night (cheaper than pull ups, same idea) until he was consistently dry. That took a while. I tried everything. everything. everything. to get him to stay dry at night, and it took a LONG TIME. We still have issues. On the other hand, with my second, we took the diapers away at night right away, and he has done FINE. Wakes himself up to go to the bathroom and all. (my first sleeps through it...)
So, I guess what I'm trying to say (not very compactly, sorry!) is that you need to do what you think is best for him- you know him best!
AND, way to go on the triathalon-- I am seriously impressed over here. Wow. Wow. Wow. You're awesome!!!!