Saturday, September 24, 2011

One "Love It" to Go, Please

Today's end was the bringer of meltdowns.


I guess should have seen it coming when I cried yesterday while watching "Cinderella" with Taylor (it was just so sweet that she found love after all she'd been through, you know??).


I'm sure this is just your typical PMS, but I'm also thinking I may have overloaded my plate without realizing it.


First there's the potty training thing.  Did you know that Taylor had three accidents today?  Three accidents.  Three, that didn't seem to bother him in the least.  Sigh. 


And there's also the new race that I'm signed up for (did I mention that I'm training again?).  It's a running event in Highlands Ranch called the Wildcat Mountain--it's a 10 mile trail run.  That's right, TEN miles.  I thought about doing it after feeling so great after doing my tri, and Andrew encouraged me to take the challenge.  I am excited for sure, but I'm also wondering if I've bit off a little more than I can chew... 
Today began after I sent my husband off to work early (on a Saturday--total stink), I ran six miles with the kids in their stroller, followed by cleaning up poopy underwear a couple times, fighting to stay awake with Taylor and his potty needs, then got dinner ready for my family.  After dinner I dressed in my Sunday best and went to the Relief Society general broadcast.


The RS broadcast is an event I look forward to every year.  It's always so uplifiting and inspiring...and tonight was no exception.  But somehow this time I didn't leave feeling nearly as great as usual.  It actually took me some effort to get though the event--I was so distracted.  After it ended, I made chit chat with some of the gals in my ward, then drove straight to Cold Stone, where I ordered a big "Love it" of Oreo Cream ice cream and inhaled it while I window shopped at Southwest Plaza.  
Then I bought two shirts at the Gap.  Yeah, so much for the window shopping.  And if you know me, you know that spontaneously buying clothes so not a 'me' thing to do.  I love being cute and trendy, but I'm also a real penny pincher!  Hard to find the balance...Anyway, what's come over me?


I drove home, feeling buyers remorse and also feeling badly that I had left Andrew alone with the kids all night long.  I sat down to really talk with my husband for the first time all day and tears started to trickle down my face, through intermittent laughter.


I know I'm not the only mom who's busy, and so many moms out there have succeeded in potty training their kids too (multiple times even--I don't know how they do it)!  


But somehow all of it makes me a mess.  All I want to do right now is eat ice cream, and I don't know whether to laugh or cry!  


This is so ridiculous.

4 comments:

Cheri said...

There are days like this, but knowing that they are normal and that we all go through them just isn't much help. They are hard, and frustrating, and ... well, just plain awful. Take heart. Time passes and things WILL fall into place. Just concentrate on "pushing through it."

We're going through our first period of extreme teenage angst, and my heart is breaking for my sweet daughter. She is learning that sometimes you can do your absolute best, play by the rules, treat people with respect and kindness ... and you still end up getting the short end of the stick. A hard lesson to learn, and I hate that she has to do it. I am also having a difficult time forgiving the person responsible for her pain. This whole motherhood thing is definitely NOT for sissies!

Hang in there girl, yu (and your lovely little family) are going to be just fine. Don't feel guilty if coping involves laughter, tears, and ice cream. =D

Caitie Finley said...

Cheer up tiff! We love you! You do a LOT for your family, your an amazing woman. Anyone can see that just from reading your blog. Speaking of your blog, yours is so cute! How did you make the margins smaller?

Carrie & the Boys said...

Call me next time and just cry on the phone. I have days like that ALL the time. Poor Mitchell. Man, we need to live by each other so we can complain to each other and not our poor husbands. I agree that Relief Society meeting was AWESOME! Lucky for me, it was just what I needed. Hopefully as you reread the messages you too will find what you need. Love you, Tiff and miss you like crazy!

Katherine said...

I loved your post. You are right, sometimes it is hard and sometimes the day call for Love It size ice cream and skirts! I wish I lived closer, it would be fun to catch up. Good luck with your race, you inspire me!
-Katherine