Thursday, March 10, 2011

FHE

One of my resolutions for 2011 has been to be more consistent in my FHE planning and to make Family Home Evening more meaningful for my family.

In the process I've found myself going back to my teaching roots and creating formal lesson plans-- themed on a scripture story or gospel topic each week. It's a little work right now, but I've been enjoying it. And it'll sure be great next year when I can just go to my established "FHE files" and quickly reuse those same lessons. Easy as pie!

If you're interested, a PDF copy of my lesson can be downloaded here:


This Monday I invited my grandparents over to join us for dinner and FHE. This week's lesson: The Plan of Salvation. I knew that Taylor was completely unfamiliar with this especially important topic, so I wanted to make his first experience extra special.

After explaining an illustration of the Plan on a magnetic whiteboard to Taylor, we took a "room to room" walking experience of the Plan of Salvation--first going to a space in our home that represented the premortal existence, then on to a room that represented life on earth, and so on. He totally dug it. Although the Plan of Salvation is relatively complex, I think my little guy took it in-stride and seemed to understand--as well as a 2 1/2 year-old can, anyway.

IMG_7007

Beginnings of Plan of Salvation diagram

IMG_7010

Beginning our room-to-room journey, with premortal life.
Pictures of Heavenly Father, Christ, and family are on the walls to show who was there.


Moving to the next room: Earth life.


Next: the spirit world.


Judgement and resurrection. On the door that leads to three heavenly kingdoms.


Telestial Kingdom.
A few of Taylor's favorite books were there. He really wanted to read them, until he saw...


The Terrestrial Kingdom.
Better books were there, and a few toys (i.e. a "grown-ups only" board game) that he's rarely allowed to play with.

IMG_7030

And behind door number three...

IMG_7035

The Celestial Kingdom!
Complete with favorite stuffed dog, Max, Blankie (usually only allowed to be held at bed time), favorite fire fighter boots, fav books, and other toys. Pictures representing Christ, Heavenly Father, and family were there again and to top it off--a plate of fresh cookies.

IMG_7044

Here's Taylor, after playing in the "Celestial Kingdom" until well after the lesson was over. I love the boots, the loveys, and the chocolate smears all over his face.

For the rest of the evening clear until when Andrew and I tucked him in bed for the night, Taylor asked if he "could PLEEEASE go to Celestial Kingdom" again. Ha ha.

I think he got the point. :)


9 comments:

Larz Macfarlane said...

SO sweet! "PLEEEASE go to Celestial Kingdom" again. Awesome.

Dana said...

That's such a good way of explaining it! Good job! Please, tell me you're going to post more because I'm definitely going to be copying if they're all like that!

Kimra Bham said...

This is SO clever, and very well thought-out! I love the idea, and I just might have to steal it from ya :) You are such an awesome mom-- I can just tell!!!

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

Lol, that has got to be the cutest lesson I've ever seen!! perfect for a toddler to understand!

Cathy said...

This was so cute! Love it! Wish I could have watched too. Thanks for inviting Mom and Dad.

Love the pic of Russell going into Taylor's room. He has no clue what is going on; but he's sure happy to be along for the ride.

Michelle said...

Wow! I am amazed....so well planned out. And I just love his chocolate smears ;)

Unknown said...

You are so smart! Maybe you could make a blog just for this...I bet it would be amazing. I'll have to try and copy you but I'm sure it won't be as good :).

Cameron and Cindy said...

Love love love it!!!

Charity said...

That is such a great idea! That last shot is priceless! He looks like he's been in heaven! Ha ha

What a great mom you are!