Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Creation

For FHE this week, I continued on to what seemed like the next appropriate subject after learning about the Plan of Salvation--to The Creation, as recorded in Genesis chapter 1 and Moses chapter 2.

It went a little like this:

IMG_7059

We used our well-loved magnetic whiteboard and color images of the creation from "The Friend" magazine to talk with Taylor and give him a visual of the concept.

Then, we reviewed as one-by-one, Andrew and I gave Taylor LARGE print-outs of numbers to color and glue/tape various props to illustrate what Christ created on each day of The Creation:

IMG_7058


Day one: Taylor colored half of the number "1" he was given black, to illustrate that on that day, Christ made darkness and light.

Day two: Taylor colored blue scibbles for water, and taped cotton balls to represent heaven. This illustrated that Christ separated Heaven and firmament.

Day three: Plants were created. We taped various dead plants to the number "3."

Day four: Sun, moon, and stars were created. We drew pictures of them on the number "4."

Day five: Birds and fish. We drew pictures of birds, and taped Goldfish crackers to the number "5." Taping perfectly good food to a piece of paper was almost more temptation than Taylor could stand! Should I be suprised that they didn't last through the next morning before mysteriously disappearing?!

Day six: Remaining animals, and man/woman. We drew stick figures of a man and a woman, and taped favorite animal pictures to the number "6."

IMG_7061

Day seven: With help from his dad, Taylor drew pictures of some things that he does on Sundays: read his "Book O' Mornin'," go to church, take a nap.

We then displayed the newly created visuals on the whiteboard in Taylor's room as a reminder of what we learned for the remainder of the week.

IMG_7068


This lesson was educational not just for my little guy, but for me too--I think I've contemplated more about the creation in this week alone than I have in many years combined. Having a visual to refer to all week long definitely got those rusty wheels in my brain a-turning more...and made a Wednesday trip to the temple with Andrew more meaningful too.

I had such a positive response after posting last week's lesson that I decided to create a downloadable file of this week's FHE again for you all:


If you're liking this, please let me know and I'll do my best to keep delivering the goods. :)


6 comments:

Cameron and Cindy said...

Love it! Thank you Thank you!

Ann said...

I've had a similar resolution. Very cool!

Jennifer said...

I love reading about your creative ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Michelle said...

Awesome! All of your hard work reminds me of an article I read in the Ensign about a woman being inspired to put the same amount of preparation into her FHE's as the lessons she prepared for her calling at church. Keep up the great work....I'm totally stealing these ideas!

Mindi said...

What a cute idea! You are awesome Tiff...why don't we live closer?

Alicia said...

Um, can I just say that your FHE's seem a lot more exciting than ours? I would never have the time nor do I have the determintaion to do anything quite so elaborate. Way to go! Taylor is lucky to have you for a mom. :)