Sunday, February 27, 2011

Little February Moments

Letter from the Heart

Andrew's mom was so sweet to come to Denver and watched our kids for a few days while we were away in Las Vegas. The day after she left, it was obvious that Taylor felt her absence as he mentioned how he missed her several times. My favorite 'I miss you' moment:

Taylor picked up a pen and some scratch paper and started scribbling. I thought that he was drawing a picture, but when he started talking to himself amidst the scribbles, I realized that he was actually writing a note. He said:

"Dear Gwand-muver. I wuv, wuv, wuv you. So much. Thank you for coming."

Melt!

Growing Baby

I always thought that when I stopped nursing my baby, I would be the one to make that decision. Last week, Russell proved to me that he, too has a say.

When he woke up one morning, he refused to drink breast milk for breakfast. I tried again a few hours later and got the same reaction. This happened again-and-again over the course of days, sigh--and I'm sure you get the picture.

I'm surprised at how disappointed I am that Russell won't nurse any more. My body has felt simply crazy ever since having him, and so I figured that I'd be celebrating when I got an opportunity for my hormones to balance-out a little more!

Weird, but it's my reality now. And hey, looking on the brighter side--I managed to slowly stash quite the collection of free formula over time. With only three months left until Baby's first birthday, I may not need to feel the sting of buying a can!

He Likes Math (I think)

If he does, he certainly didn't get it from me. Taylor has taken to counting for weeks now. He counts everything from kitchen utensils, to computer icons, food items, books, and so on.

When at a friend's house this week, he played with an old school shape sorter toy for the first time and couldn't put it down. Geometry has always had near zero appeal to me--but this kid seems to like working with shapes and numbers. Could I have a future doctor, chemist, or engineer in my midst?

wood_fav_shape_sorter

"The One About the Car"

Taylor has a new fav song to add to his playlist. This song became cool while listening to me shuffle through stations on our car radio. After hearing just a small clip of Katy Perry's "Teenage Dream" as I skipped on to a new station, Taylor objected and said: "Mom! That was a good one!" I laughed, and back-tracked to listen to his song of choice.

When we got home, Taylor asked me if we had that song on our computer. "I'm sure it's on YouTube," I said, and turned it on for him as soon as we got inside (do not try this at home!). It didn't take much viewing of the official Katy Perry video for me to conclude that it was not fit for my 2 year-old's eyes, to say the least, and soon approved the only slightly risque "Glee" version to feed his song viewing/dancing hunger. :)

Much to my embarassment though, Taylor did see enough of the official music video for him to clearly remember images of people driving cars to the rhythm of the music. This is the reason Taylor now refers to the "Teenage Dream" song as "The One About the Car." Ha ha ha--help.



2 comments:

Michelle said...

Haha...I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that one of my guilty pleasures is listening to that Katy Perry song. Can I be released from Primary Pres. now???

Unknown said...

Double melt. :)