Friday, February 25, 2011

Lucky #27

I had another birthday this week...this makes 27 for me!

IMG_6730

And yes, for the first year ever, I feel old. I can see the dreaded number 30 at the end of the 20's tunnel clearer than ever before! When I complain about aging with my 25 year-old little brother, he loves to tease and laugh with me in his "LarzpaƱol" saying:

"Veinte-seite?! Ay, que ni!!"

Ha ha. My feelings exactly. :)

As it has in some years past, this year my birthday fell on Presidents' Day. For Andrew, who anticipated enjoying a fun day off with me, instead was summoned to an all-day team building retreat with the Haselden NREL crew. Gotta love it.

Being the super thoughtful and considerate husband that he is, Andrew decided to make up for his absence on Monday by thoroughly spoiling me for the duration of Presidents' Day weekend, both while he was there and while he wasn't.

On Saturday, he suprised me by inviting some good friends over for a fiesta--complete with fun games, decorations and costumes (thank you, Mom!), and great food: tacos, 7-layer dip and chips, horchata, and an amazingly gorgeous chocolate cake. We almost never try to juggle late gaming and parenting responsibilities with our friends because we assume they'll never go for the idea--it does have its risks. But turns out there are other party animals out there who are willing to let their kids watch "Dora the Explorer" until 9:30 at night for the sake of adult interaction. :) I had the time of my life that night! Anyone up for round two?

J&T
Taylor with his buddy, Jonathan at the party. "CHEEEEEEEESE!"


NEW

On Sunday night, my hubby stayed up late making strawberry-lemonade cupcakes--a new favorite of mine--so that my grandparents and Jeff and Donna's family could come visit the following evening to enjoy cake and ice cream.

*If you're interested (or if your name happens to be MariLouise), the recipe for those delicious cupcakes can be found here: http://annies-eats.net/2009/02/24/strawberry-lemonade-cupcakes/

IMG_6751

IMG_6749

On Monday, that happened--in addition to my thoughtful grandma gathering me and the Mercer crowd together at Sweet Tomatoes for dinner beforehand.

IMG_6802_2

IMG_6799
I love that Taylor couldn't resist blowing out the candle before I did!

Throughout the week I was also showered with thoughful visits, phone calls, emails, FB greetings, and gifts from friends and family. I can't say enough about the thoughtfulness of everyone on my behalf. Thank you, thank you, over-and-over! Gift collage


7 comments:

Sarah Burgoyne said...

Happy Birthday! I turned 30 last year and it wasn't so bad :) Its more the thought of turning 40 in 10 years that has be totally freaked out! 40?! 40?!?! Mom's are 40! Then I think, "Crap, I am a Mom!" Ahhhh!!! In 10 years Madelynne will be leaving for college! Then I may or may not start to cry :)

BTW It's amazing how much Taylor looks like Andrew

MariLouise said...

Mmmm! The only thing missing from this awesome post is [a link to?] the recipe for the delicious-sounding strawberry lemonade cupcakes!! (Pretty please??) :)
xoxo

Ann said...

That picture of Andrew needs to be framed in your kitchen! :)

Carrie & the Boys said...

We totally would've partied it up with you guys! Happy Birthday, Tiff. We miss you guys but are so glad that you're enjoying Colorado. We're thinking about a trip this summer out there on our way to Utah. We'll plan with ya later!

Michelle said...

So glad you had a great weekend getting spoiled! I'm going to have to try those cupcakes!! They look so yummy :)

Charity said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Love the picture of Andrew in the kitchen!

Alicia said...

Happy late birthday! Glad you had a great one! I love those collages. Was there a site that helped you make those?