Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Wildcat Mountain 10 Mile Trail Run

Another race completed!  This stuff is so much fun.  I think I'm hooked!
Donna and her outgoing friend Cindy joined me for this one.  If they could've seen the weather coming for our big day, I'm not sure that they would have...

...because it was the coldest day of the year so far.  By far.  Instead of checking out the race venue before we ran, we huddled in the car to keep warm.
The trail looked so wet and gloomy; we even talked to race officials and nearly switched to racing the 5 mile race instead.  But right at the bitter end, with only 20 seconds remaining until the 10 miler began, we changed our minds and went for it.  

I'm so glad we did.

We got to run on snow-covered dirt trail under foot, through foothills filled with scrub oak and light snow falling overhead.  The falling snow created an illusion of mist and fog all around, and a calm stillness that seemed to stop time.  Other runners were always near, but I felt alone and at peace.  

It was beautiful.  

Perfect.


Just under two hours later, I turned the last corner before the finish line to see...

...something I couldn't stop smiling for!




These guys!  

With big grins on their faces, cheering "Go Mommy!"  and the most handsome man I've ever seen (their dad), standing beside them taking pictures.

Ahhh.  They are what I live and die for!  





Cindy and I then waited for our comrade to cross the finish line, where Andrew was again prepared to capture the moment.  Way to go, Donna!
Finally stopped--the realization that our hands and faces were beginning to freeze, that our feet were sopping wet from running in mud and snow for hours, and that our bodies were exhausted--sank in.  It gave a feeling of relief to be finished, but mostly a sense of friendship, fun, and accomplishment.

I would do this again...

...in a heartbeat.
(snow and all). :)
I think I want to try my hand at my first 1/2 marathon now.  Anyone want in?

2 comments:

Leif, Jacove, Zana, Noah & Ewan said...

Awesome good job!!! You know I'm always up for a half. :)

Kimra Bham said...

I'm so impressed :) Way to go!!!